Saturday 24 November 2012

Quisiera una Tortilla Espaῆola

SPANISH TORTILLA

"Quisiera" is the past subjunctive tense of "querer", which means "I would like". Quisiera una Tortilla Espaῆola is the sexier way of asking for a Spanish tortilla.

 I have been studying Spanish to  prepare for my trip to Spain. I am also writing a breakfast menu for spring while writing a blog. I thought, making a Spanish Tortilla is the best way to accomplish all three.

Spanish Tortilla is not just an omelet. It is so good that you can eat it anytime of the day. The basic ingredients are garlic, onions, potatoes, eggs and olive oil. Then additional ingredients such as " tocino, jamón, chorizo, pimientos y quezo " make it even more special. What makes this dish so delicious is the fried potatoes, which keeps the tortilla moist even when it is at room temperature. It is not surprising to see tortilla in tapas bars.


In my kitchen, I simplify everything. I cook what I already have: garlic, onions, sliced red new potatoes, bacon, chorizo, tomato and eggs.


Fry the potatoes in olive oil.


Add the bacon. Then the onions.








Add the chorizo and the tomatoes. Cook until the potatoes are soft and the onions, lightly brown.











I added the sauteed ingredients to the beaten eggs. I wiped the pan, then I added some olive oil. This way, all your ingredients are coated with the beaten eggs. This is also to prevent the tortilla from sticking to your pan. The starch from the potatoes could make the pan sticky.The egg will coagulate so quickly as soon as you put it in the pan. I make a thinner tortilla to lessen the cooking time. I quickly flip the tortilla and slide it on to a plate to cool down.



For presentation, I cut the tortilla into wedges and stacked them.


Spanish Tortilla with Bacon and Chorizo garnished with Green Onions and Tomatoes


¿Para el desayuno?   Sí.
¿Para el almuerzo?   Sí.
¿De tapas?  Sí.
¿Soy encantador? Claro. 




1 comment:

  1. I will do this for breakfast tomorrow. Looks so good. :) Please post more Spanish recipes.... you make it all seem so easy! I'd love to see paella a la Victor!

    ReplyDelete