Wednesday 14 November 2012

Boeuf Bourguignon

What dish will I cook first?

I cook on a daily basis, depending on the time I wake up. I thought, I would start with what I already have in my kitchen. First dish is Boeuf Bourguignon or Boeuf a la Bourguignonne. To make this dish, you need braising beef and a lot of red wine, preferably from Burgundy. I frequent the Niagara region to get my wine. Gamay and Aligoté grapes are now grown in this region. These varietals are close enough to Burgundian wines so this is what I decided to use. Actually, use the red wine that you enjoy drinking!

Cooking local, I looked outside my garden, there's not much left other than the vegetables under the ground. I dug up my little onions and my carrots.






There are so many recipes for Boeuf Bourguignon, it doesn't matter which one you use. The most important thing is that you understand the recipe before you start cooking. You must have a vision of the dish in your head. You should know that the beef should be tender with a very light glazing of the reduced sauce with flavors coming from your bacon, onions, mushrooms, red wine and bouquet garni: fresh thyme, parsley and bay leaf.


How do you achieve this? First, devote the time, you will need at least 3 hours.

Flirt with the ingredients in every step: 
sear, saute, simmer, braise, reduce, season, garnish...then fall in love. 

There's your Boeuf Bourguignon.

1 kg. Braising Beef (Rump, Blade or Shortribs) cut into big cubes, season with salt and pepper (coat with flour if you like), sear until brown and set aside.
5 strips of bacon cut into squares, sautee in a casserole with 1 shallots, 2 onions and 2 garlic cloves, a few mushrooms. Add the beef. At this point, you can add about 1/2 cup of brandy and flambe. Add 2 cups or  full bottle of red wine, if you like. Add enough beef stock to cover the meat. Season with salt and pepper, add a bouquet garni. Cover and let it simmer for at least 2 hours. Check regularly, make sure the bottom is not burning. If it's reducing too fast, add more stock. Add your garnish (baby carrots, pearl onions, mushrooms) when the beef is tender. Simmer. Adjust the seasoning. You could strain the sauce if you like, reduce it separately then whisk in some butter before serving. I serve my Boeuf Bourguignon with fried sliced baguette. Bon appetit! 

Victor's Boeuf Bourguignon

1 comment:

  1. Love your post! This 'ulam' is on our 'to cook' list. Looks like we're on the right track because we've cooked Beef Stew in Ale from a recipe in Esquire magazine. The next logical step would be to cook beef in wine.

    Ravenously yours,

    Leah's Chris

    ReplyDelete