Wednesday 28 November 2012

Cooking with Friends

Cooking with friends is not just preparing food... It is a social event.

I have been cooking for a living for a very long time. I want to cook, first thing, when I wake up in the morning. It is true but with a hectic schedule, often, I don't even have the time to finish my first cup of coffee. To be able to devote the time to cook and to dine is enough to celebrate!




It was Marti's birthday and I was the birthday gift. Denise Tobyn organized "the cooking lessons with Victor." Honestly, it was a big pressure for me. The gift should be exciting and memorable...without me jumping out of a giant birthday cake. How am I supposed to behave? Very professional, I showed up on time with  a serious plan and printed recipes.

Within the first minute of meeting Marti, I felt that I knew her for a long time.That was a very rare  special moment. Marti deserved better than my original plan. We decided to plan and write the menu together. I was surprised and happy to discover that her pantry is better stocked than most professional kitchens!

Then Jane showed up, another rare moment, more positive energy started flowing. We were ready to create a memorable experience! Who thought of all these? 
Denise Tobyn started the idea, she's a genius.

I summarized our sessions by writing the menu for each day.




First Session: "the chicken comes to me"

Menu

Green Curry Butternut Squash Soup
*
Poached Pear with Toasted Pecans
Micro Greens and Maple Vinaigrette
*
Whole Roasted Chicken
Creamy Polenta with Truffle Oil


This was the session where we became good friends. This was the day, they learned how to build flavors and create a special dish from simple but the best ingredients.
They asked me how to choose the best chicken, and yes, they learned it. 



Second Session: "What? You don't own a mixer?"

Menu

Taboulleh with Brunoise Peppers
 Baby Arugula and Lemon Vinaigrette
*
Roasted Rack of Lamb
Rogan Josh Curry Lentils, Fennel Pollen
*
Pavlova with Mixed Berries
Whipped Cream, Grand Marnier, 
Jane's Vanilla Bean Creme Anglaise


This was the session where they practiced their knife skills with the brunoise. This was a very ambitious menu and this day, they learned team work in the kitchen. 
Each rack of lamb was frenched. 
We made Pavlova by hand and that was a fun experience!



Third Session: " Where is the best part of the fish?"

Menu

Celeriac and Apple Soup
*
Miso Marinated Chilean Sea Bass
Warm Lentil Salad, Baby Gai Lan, Classic Beurre Blanc
*
Mango Crepes with Maple Syrup
Whipped Cream


In this session, Judith joined us and Amelia joined for the tasting.
Our original plan was black cod but the fish monger was selling 
the belly and the tail of the black cod. 
The best part of the fish was missing, for black cod, it is the loin. Then we decided that best fish for the session was the Chilean sea bass, sustainable and Ocean-wise. 
The lesson here really is to give your best for the people you care about.

Trust me, this is my happy face after three glasses of wine!


When Amelia tasted the finished dish, she disappeared, I thought she was in tears. When she came back, she said that she's never tasted anything like it.

I was the birthday gift but I received way much more.
Cooking with my new found friends was making moments into memories.


This is what I learned. Whenever I write a menu, I must create not just good food
 but a memorable experience!



The song is entitled "Salamat". It is a Filipino word meaning "thank you" 
and it is about thanking friends for being there!



1 comment:

  1. I was one of the very lucky trio to get to be part of Marti's birthday gift--and have the pleasure of cooking with Chef Victor. What an experience to be able to learn from a top professional. Victor has the most lovely personality, an impish sense of humour and getting to spend time with him was a delight. He, of course, makes the most complicated dish look amazingly effortless and he made us feel like we could do anything. Maybe we could--as long as Victor was with us. Cooking with this remarkable chef will be a memory I will hold forever. Thanks Victor! Thanks Marti for including me.

    ReplyDelete