Thursday 15 November 2012

PORK BELLY IN A HURRY



Pork Belly Cooked in Its Own Fat
Pork belly and bacon are  staples in my kitchen. A lot of times, coming home from work, I will cook this if I need a quick meal with plain steamed rice. I could literally eat this everyday. The entire dish will take less than half an hour to make.

Remove the rind from the pork belly, then slice about half inch thick slices. Season with salt and pepper.

Put the pork in a heavy bottomed skillet or frying pan. Add just enough water to cover the pork. Depending on the size of the pan, about 2 cups of water. Add half a cup of vinegar, 2 crushed cloves of garlic. In medium heat let it simmer until it cooks itself.

 

The seasoned water braise the pork quickly, making it tender. Simmering until all the liquid evaporates gives the pork its flavor.

 

Then eventually, the fat renders and the pork fries itself. The pork belly caramelizes and dinner is ready.




At home, I eat this simply with steamed rice, sometimes with a quick salad such as tomatoes with soy and lemon juice. If I were to put this on my menu, I will serve it with a romaine salad just like Caesar salad, with the pork belly replacing the bacon bits, making it a complete meal.

Bon appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pork belly recipe Victor. It looks delicious. I am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I smell adobo? You never really forget the food that you grow up with... Alternative (cheesy) title - Pork Belly: Belly, Belly Good :)

    ReplyDelete