Thursday 13 December 2012

Make the Holidays Nice with Sugar and Spice!

Sweet Holidays



There are so many scrumptious things you can bake for the holidays but there is nothing more festive than the scent of gingerbread baking in the oven.The combination of ginger, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and molasses creates wonders. For me anyway, I was inspired!



I accepted a challenge to build a gingerbread house for the Salvation Army in Hamilton. I thought, I would build a gingerbread house with my own design. A big miscommunication, apparently, I agreed to make a replica of their building. I have not seen this building before but I love challenges, I had to finish the gingerbread house in two days!


 I have a feeling of accomplishment after completing the gingerbread house. I learned to listen better. I got to review my geometry. I worked with my attention to details. I learned what to improve on for next time. And my house is perfumed with the holiday spirit!

The most important wonder is meeting new people who work so hard for the community.

Even more wonderful is making people smile!



I will share two recipes. First is gingerbread dough to make gingerbread house and the second  is ginger spiced cookie dough which is just delicious!

Gingerbread
1 cup. shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup molasses
2 eggs, beaten
5 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. ground ginger

1. Heat the shortening in the microwave, just    until melted, not hot.
2. Combine the sugar, molasses, eggs and shortening in the mixer using a paddle. Mix well.
3. Add the dry ingredients, blend until well mixed. Finish by kneading the dough by hand.
4. Wrap with cling film and chill before using.
Note: this recipe is from The International School of Sugarcraft by Ford and Lodge

Tip:
  •  Make sure the dough is chilled before rolling.
  •  Roll the dough on parchment paper and bake it on parchment paper.
  •  Chill the rolled and cut pieces before baking.
  •  Bake in pre-heated oven at 350F, an average piece takes about 12 minutes. It is done when the edges starts to brown.
 
 
 Sugar and Spice Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves



1.Preheat oven to 350F.
2.Cream butter, add sugar and egg. Add the vanilla.
3.Sift all dry ingredients together and add to butter mixture. Combine well to form a dough. Roll and cut with cookie cutter.
4. Bake for about 10-12 minutes.

Note: As long as the dough is chilled, you can roll and shape it to anything you like.

Royal Icing is an important component in making gingerbread. To make it, mix
3 egg whites,4 cups icing sugar,1/2 tsp  cream of tartar in a mixer for about 7 minutes. 
Make sure that you keep it covered with clingfilm.










Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.
 - Charles Schulz

No comments:

Post a Comment