Thursday 27 December 2012

Lunch, Movie and Dinner with Friends in Toronto

“Just relax. Everyone around you is working too hard.”
 Bauvard, Some Inspiration for the Overenthusiastic

Before the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, I managed to enjoy some time with my friends in Toronto.

It was important to relax before embarking on a serious project. So, we had lunch, we watched a movie and had dinner. For me, the more friends the merrier, the more dishes I get to try.

I am not doing a review, I am merely sharing my experience.
 
LUNCH


Lunch at OB Canteen was casual and reasonably priced, reasonably good. The restaurant was full, we had to wait a few minutes before we got seated. I had a pain au chocolat with a cup of coffee while waiting for the main dishes.


Chopped Chicken Liver 12.
housemade pickles, O&B Artisan toast

Semolina Gnocchi16.
braised lamb, rosemary, Parmesan






Smoked Salmon Croissant 16.
poached eggs, Hollandaise








We had a great time. The restaurant has a nice setting and my friend Ken admired the Le Creuset pots and pans on display. I don't have a picture of the dessert because we did not eat it. The dessert came, we all tasted it, analyzed it, we all had our opinions why it was not good. The server came and I politely said that it was not good. No drama, the server immediately removed it from my sight. She offered us other desserts but we declined because we have to get ready for the movie.

MOVIE
 

The movie is entitled "Entre les Bras".

A documentary on French chef Michel Bras and his decision to hand over his restaurant to his son, Sebastien, who has been working with him for 15 years.
Directed by Paul Lacoste. Starring Michel Bras and Sebastian Bras


Paul Lacoste's new documentary, Entre les Bras (Step Up to the Plate), begins in 2009 when Michel Bras, the founder of an award-winning restaurant deep in the mountains of southern France, decides to gradually step down so his eldest son, Sébastien, can take up the chef's mantle.

I have admired Michel Bras for the longest time.


DINNER



We went to Cafe Boulud at the Four Seasons for dinner. This is my "kind of place"...The expectations were very high!


I love the way the menu is presented. It is featured in four sections: La Tradition ( Traditional French Cuisine), Le Saison ( Seasonal Dishes), Le Potager (The Vegetable Garden) and Le Voyage ( Flavors of World Cuisine).
 Appetizers

Rabbit Porchetta
Young Root Vegetables, Watercress
Mustard Crisp
15

Vitello Tonnato
Celery, Anchovy, Caperberries
15

Crispy Duck Egg
Fricassée of Wild Mushrooms
Duck confit, Salsify and Celery Root
16

 Main  Dishes

Mediterranean Daurade
Cherry Tomato, Slow Baked Red Onion
Romesco Sauce
28
Venison Loin with Red Fife Spaetzle $32

Roasted Ontario Veal Loin
Cheeks and Sweetbreads Casserole, Oyster Mushrooms
Carrot Confit, Garlic-Parmesan Grits
32
Steak au Poivre
Dry-Aged Cumbrae Strip Loin, Bone Marrow Confit
Shallot, Pommes Pont Neuf, Parsley Salad
39

Wine 

Yalumba, HP Lightpass, Barossa 
Australia, 2005
 $146


Desserts

Cassata
chocolate sacher
ricotta-cardamom mousse
candied fruits, coffee gelato
11

Hazelnut Gianduja Gâteau
milk chocolate, crystallized violet
limoncello sorbet
12

Warm Chocolate Coulant
liquid caramel, fleur de sel
caramelized milk ice cream
12

Grapefruit Givré
sesame halva, rose loukoum
grapefruit sorbet
12
Note: Of all the dishes that I tasted that day in Toronto, the Grapefruit Givré is the most memorable!



Dining out is not always about the food itself. Mostly, I enjoy the time I spend with my friends. I also enjoy the fact that someone else is cooking for me. Sometimes, I enjoy      " critiquing" not just the food but the service and ambiance. This is the best way to relax...just don't worry about the bill!



No comments:

Post a Comment